Sunday, November 23, 2014

Fighting The Production Triangle

I've quoted this one about a thousand times over the years, "Good, Fast, Cheap, Pick Two ONLY". And now I'm trying to fight the inevitable.  For Film 48 I've clearly already chosen "Fast", and with no budget, I've also chosen "Cheap". But of course I want it to be good. The question I ponder now is whether or not this is an equilateral triangle. Or can the triangle be "squeezed together" so that cheap and fast could still be fairly close to "good".  I'm not sure of the answer yet, but I suppose we'll be finding that out in short order.
If there is a way to change this paradigm, it will likely come from another interesting property of the production universe.  If you ask every single person you know, someone has exactly what you need. This is a bizarre property, but it keeps being proven to work!  Along those lines, I met some wonderful people at the SWLA Film Alliance meeting this week and they seem eager to help us make a success of this crazy Film 48 concept.  I also met a budding makeup artist who offered her services to the project. I asked her if she could give me realistic abdominal and neck knife wounds. Her mockup and test shot is above.  I have to say, if anything gives me hope that fast and cheap could also be good, it's work like this from talented people who have said "Yes" to being part of Film 48.

No comments:

Post a Comment